Prep Time: 10 Min | Cook Time: 15 Min | Serves: 4-6
- Mercenary BBQ Desert Market Seasoning
- 2lbs Chicken (grill/oven) or 1 Small Chicken (rotisserie)
- 6 Naan or Pita Bread
- 1 Cup Chopped Lettuce
- 1 Cup Chopped Tomato
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yoghurt
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Minced Garlic Clove
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat what will be cooking your chicken – Rotisserie to 225, Grill to 400, Oven to 425
- Combine the Shawarma Sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well, once mixed cover and place in fridge
- There are many ways to cook chicken, for this recipe rotisserie is preferred, then grill, then oven, even though the oven is listed last it is still good. *Note* the below cooking methods are guidelines based off what I cook with, your rotisserie, grill, oven and outdoor cooking conditions may be slightly different. According to the USDA approved food chart always cook poultry to an internal temperature of at least 165.
- Rotisserie – for use of a small whole chicken cook at 225. Plan on 1 hour per pound, so generally 4-5 hours cook time. You want a light brown caramelized skin. Take out at an internal temperature of 165, temperature will rise another 3-5 degrees while resting. Allow the meat 15-30 minutes to rest after taking out of rotisserie.
- Grill – place chicken breasts, thighs, etc on the grill at 400 degrees. Cook first side 7 min, flip and cook other side for 5 min. You want a light brown caramelized skin. Cook to internal temperature of 165.
- Oven – place chicken breasts, thighs, etc in the oven. Lightly oil the pan so it does not stick. Cook at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You want a light brown caramelized skin. Cook to internal temperature of 165.
- Preheat and lightly oil a griddle or pan to medium heat
- Once your chicken is done pull it apart (shred).
- Add chicken, tomatoes, and lettuce to griddle or pan, cook for 3 minutes while continuously stirring
- Add your chicken, tomato, lettuce mixture on top of your naan or pita bread and apply your shawarma sauce